Doing the research on this blog made me start thinking about people that live in a Fantasy Land. Fantasists are in the Narcissist, Sociopath and even the Borderline Personality. It made me wonder why even when these people are shown that their ideas are just not probable or even possible they still cling to them. Fantastic ideas become their entire world as real as unicorns and pixies these ideas become fact to them. Why? What kind of mind is it that cannot see reality? Well low and behold there is a mental condition for that too!
The FANTASY PRONE PERSONALITY
This is a personality in which a person has a lifelong extensive involvement in fantasy. It can also be described as an “overactive imagination”. Someone with this trait is termed a “fantasizer”. They often have difficulty in differentiating between fantasy and reality. They may also have other self-suggested psychosomatic symptoms. This can also be a trait of the Narcissist as they live in their own world constructed and ruled by them.
They may have dissaociation and sexual fantasies. People with FPP are reported to spend over half their time fantasizing or daydreaming. They often mix these fantasies with real memories.
1. Excellent hypnotic subject (most but not always)
2. having imaginary childhood friends
3. often fantasizing in childhood
4. having a fantasy identity
5. experiencing imagined sensations as real
6. vivid sensory perceptions
7. reputed paranormal experiences (claiming psychic powers, encountering apparitions,being able to cast spells, having out of body experiences and other like events)
8. mystical experiences
9. believe they have special powers
10. Hypnotic hallucinations (waking dreams)
11. receiving sexual satisfaction without physical stimulation
The childhood is often spent in fantasy with dolls etc being perceived as real and encouraged by adults in the child’s life.
Some of the implications of this personality are:
1. false pregnancy
2. Maladaptive daydreaming
I found this extremely interesting and it explains a lot about the Narcissistic preoccupation with self. Perhaps it will help explain why they cannot see beyond themselves. They live in a fantasy world only occupied with themselves and their perceptions. Reality seldom comes into it.